Tuesday, June 23, 2015

WOOD PICKET WALL


Thirty some years ago when we built our house we had
a bath upstairs and one downstairs. The one downstairs 
had an entry for guests but it also had an entry from
our bedroom also. The bath was two rooms. One room had the sink and toilet
the other had a bathtub and closet. We always wanted our own private master bath.
So fast forward 25 years. We added a master bath on one end of the house connecting
to our master bedroom. We love it. So I decided to turn the older bathroom into a powder
room for guests. The tub room was turned into a closet for me.
Below is a picture of how it has looked for the last eight years.
Well I was ready for a change so I decided to repaint and add a wood accent wall.


So once again I decided to recycle my old fence pickets.


After removing all the screw, nails and staples
( there was a lot) I scraped and sanded some of the old paint off.


I then took them down to my dads shop and cut the tops off
and some of the bottom. Some ends were rotting from being
stored outside for so long.
My dad ran one side through the plainer
 to make sure they were all the same thickness.


Here they are ready to install. I did paint one side of the planks first.


Over the years this bath has had a lot of wall paper.
You know how wall paper is when you remove it. 
Normally it's not a pretty site afterwards.
 So when I turned this room into the powder room eight years ago
I decided to roughly skim the walls
with joint compound. I painted it with a light orange and glazed it with a burnt umber.
I really liked the effect.
This time around I wanted it to look like denim.
So I first painted it a light blue.


Here I've added the dark blue glaze.


Here's a close up of the finish.
I really like how it turned out. It's even prettier in person.
Look close and you can see the chalk lines I've added to show where the studs are.


Here's a look at the progress.

Another look see.


Here's a look at the wall before I added a trim piece.


Here's after the trim was added.


And here's a few pictures after it's all finished.





I decided to change artwork.
So here's a few more pics.






It turned out just as I had planned.
I hope your enjoyed the update.

Believe it or not I've finally used up all my old pickets.


How great is the love the Father has lavished on us,
that we should be called children of God.
1 John 3:1

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.

7 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing with us on the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea for recycling those old fence posts - the outcome is great. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so amazing! Pinned and tweeted! Thanks for being a part of our party. I hope to see you, tonight at 7 pm. Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how that turned out! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's repurposing:-) What an awesome job! Thanks for linking up and sharing with us at Funtastic Friday. Please join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect!!!, thanks for sharing this on Fabulous Friday! Hope to see you this Thursday for my next party
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for joining Dreams Create and Inspire, I loved your wood picket Wall, thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete