Thursday, September 11, 2014

FROM CHICKEN CRATES TO COFFEE TABLE

This is the result of using things other then there original purpose.
A very unique coffee table.
Come along as I tell you what it's made of,
and how I did it.



It all began when my daughter and son in-law bought a farm.
"Red Door Farm"


And on this farm was and old, old chicken house.




And also on this farm was a barn.



And in this barn were parts of old chicken crates.
.



I wanted to make something out of them for my daughter
since they came from her farm.
I immediately thought of a coffee table.
So I cleaned, bleached and scrubbed the pieces and nailed them together.
Here's the frame.


I needed some feet, so I went looking in my stash of odds and ends.
These were old post tops that I had cut off to use as feet on an island
that I use to have.
They will be Perfect.


Next, was to figure out what to use as the bottom.
And of course I used old pickets.
Then added the feet.


Here's a look at it underway.
Bottom shelf and feet are attached.


Now what to use for the top.
My dad has dismantled an old tool chest that he built in the 1940's.
He ask me if I wanted the boards. Of course I did. Even though
I didn't know what I'd use them for at the time. 
Well, here they are.


These will work perfect for the top.
So I sanded them and put them together.
I attached them on boards that will fit inside of the crate 
so you can just lift up the top to get to the inside of the table.


It fits nice and snug.


Here it is put together before the top was painted.


Here are a few close ups of the finished table.
She decided on red for the top and feet.
Since the name of their farm is
Red Door Farm.


And here's the finished coffee table.
A little bit of history from her farm and our family.



How great is your goodness,
which you have stored up for those who fear you...
Psalm 31:19


Please feel free to leave a comment. I love to read them.
Thanks

32 comments:

  1. What a great post! And what a lovely table! Also, I just love that little farmhouse! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really fantastic - so creative and a good example of thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job making the table........and a great tutorial. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathy. Hope things are continuing to go your way with the chicken saga.

      Delete
  4. What an adorable coffee table! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly marvel at people like you, who have the talent and skill to do something like this! Beautiful.

    Cindy Swanson at Notes in the Key of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Cindy. Please visit again.

      Delete
  6. This is a great idea and looks very attractive. Your pictures are great too. Visiting from Home Acre Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it! My mom has a few of the smaller ones lying around the house. Maybe I can make a small version :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  8. This is a WOW! You did a fabulous job! Thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! We are in desperate need of a new coffee table! I don't happen to have any chicken crates lying about (we live in the city!) but now you've got me thinking about what else we might use to create a creative coffee table.
    ~ Christine
    (Oh, and I LOVE the red!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty cool! Now ya got me to thinking about what I can make for Christmas......Lord Bless ya and thanks for the inspiration.......<><

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this on Fabulous Friday, Its a very creative table and you did a very good job!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost forgot to tell you in the last comment that I am going to feature this on Fabulous Friday Party, can you send me your contact info for future invites and for this feature too

    mpbrittis@gmail.com.

    Thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stop by this Friday to see you Chicken Crate Table at Fabulous Friday Party featured!
    Thanks Maria http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so creative!! I love the color you ended up with too. I love reds for accent colors in homes.
    Thank you for sharing on the Homestead Blog Hop. I hope we see you again tomorrow.
    Pinned! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great idea! Thanks so much for linking to The Painted Drawer Inspiration Link Party! Love your creativity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello gorgeous! I love seeing your masterpieces.Thank you for bringing such great things to our party. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm.. Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  17. How special that is ... To have a functional piece of history. It turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very Cool Project. And cocksscomb red for the paint....love the idea, sadly no chicken coops in the suburbs, LOL, Thanks, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love your creativity and am so happy you link up to our Wordless Wednesday Party! I loved this transformation and I am so happy I get to feature it on the blog today! Come by and take a look - http://fromevijawithlove.com/2015/10/27/wordless-wednesday-link-party-4-october/ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great project!!! Love it. Who would have thought that! Thanks for cohosting/sharing it in our linky party. Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! Such a noriginal coffeee table and the color takes it to a new height! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow you did a great job making the table!
    Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is SUCH a neat idea!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Repurposing at it's finest! Love it and especially the red color. Sharing on my FB wall Sunday. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday.
    Shirley at www.intelligentdomestications.com

    ReplyDelete