Monday, February 23, 2015

THE BIG ISLAND

A few years ago I had a bigger island in my kitchen.
After I made my piano island (here)  I moved out the big island
and started using the more narrow piano island.
I loved it. But as time went by I realized that the bigger island
would be more useful in my house hold.
We have lots of family gatherings and parties and a bigger surface area would be more useful.
So I decided to move the bigger island back into the kitchen.

Here's a little history of the island.
Its top is made of three large boards that are two inches thick.
The boards are over 100 years old.
My dad had them in his shop. They came from an old house that was being
torn down about 25 years ago.
The legs are made from fence newell post that I turned upside down.
Put that all together and you have an island. It's been painted white, black, and the latest, green.
Well you know me. I like to paint. 
Here are some pics of it as a green piece.

A few little details.

Looks like it could use a shelf, doesn't it. 
After moving it back into the house,
of course I had to move the piano island somewhere.
I still love that piece so I wanted to be able to see it.

So I moved it along the staircase in the dining room.
Which meant I would have to move the piano table (here).


So I moved the piano table by the front door,
which meant I would have to move the green table.

So I moved it in front of the dining room window.
Right now it's sitting on top of the supplies I'll be using
to redo my bedroom ceiling. ( More on that later).
It'll look a whole lot better when all that is removed.
The children's table was in front of the window
so I moved it across the room.


So remember, I like to paint.
I painted it turquoise.
 I'm sure you're surprised by that aren't you.
Poor Cocoa. She can't get down without Maggie chasing her.

I love the color change.
But remember, I thought it could use a shelf underneath.

So I built one.
I cut some boards to size, attached them to cross pieces,
and mounted it with L brackets.
I also added a leg on the shelf underneath in the center.
It will provide lots of support for all the bigger items I'll be putting on the shelf.

It sure adds a lot of extra storage space.
I don't know why I never added a shelf years ago.


Maggie thought she would photo bomb this pic.
Isn't she getting big.

Here's the completed project.
I love how everything turned out.

Thanks for stopping by.


Every good and perfect gift is from above.
James 1:17

25 comments:

  1. I like that blue so much better. And your piano island is probably one of my favorite re-purpose projects ever- simply fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blue and the new shelf. Fabulous island. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was looking at your photos, I was thinking I like the space that the big island provides, but I didn't like that it didn't have a shelf. Great minds think a like, LOL. Now it is perfect:) And, oh so pretty!
    Have a great day and keep smiling,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your island. Love that color, I think it looks so much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love how your created all of your tables. Your kitchen island is lovely. Looks like your furry companions like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this piece--so versatile. Thanks for linking up to Vintage Inspiration Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing! that shelf was definitely an improvement, and i just love how special the island is to you.
    b

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I love the size, the color, and the wood top. Perfect for the kitchen. Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful table! I love the blue & the shelf really completes it.

    I followed the link to your post from Beyond the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks beautiful, and that was so smart to add the shelf! Thanks for sharing it at the Vintage Inspiration Party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely color, Going to Feature this at my next party in 2 weeks, not this Friday but next.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so amazing. Pinned and tweeted. We love to party with you, so I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm.. Have an amazing day! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow What a cute update! I love the shelf and the color! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!! Featuring you this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the style and color! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lyn - this is so fantastic! Featuring today on Inspiration Friday! Please link up more of your great work - love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing! Well done! Just found you on Simple Nature Decor. Will be following and pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, blue is better. Love the island itself and the story even more! The hooks on the side are also a good idea. Good for you. Thank you for being a part of our party SHARE IT one more time, Saturdays. It wouldn’t be a party without you! Have a great week! Rose, FineCraftGuild.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. good grief...such a major appearance change with just the change of colored legs on the table! I guess like they say...just look what a can of paint will do! Good job

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a nice island! Love the color! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. love both islands way cool and painting just gives you new options thanks for sharing visiting from reviews chews and how to's

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lyn! I am so happy you visited Inspiration Thursday and shared this beautiful island! I love the new color. It looks great. Thanks for sharing! Pinned and following!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the post. I am looking to build an island with this style in mind.
    -AnchoredinSweets

    ReplyDelete