Saturday, August 16, 2014


Usually I would show the before of a project
before I show the after, but this one turned out
so good I wanted it to be the first picture you saw.
This is a chest that a friend gave me that had been his mothers'.
Maybe 60-70 years old.

This is the before picture.
It had once been stained and his mother had
painted over that.
Being that it is so old I don't think it had been
primed before it was painted.

Here's more of a close up.
As you can see the paint was cracked and peeling.
But I saw potential.

After scrapping, sanding, more scrapping and more sanding
I was finally able to start priming.
For some reason I failed to get a picture of the piece before
I started the priming. Just let me say, it
was a lot of work.
But anyway, here are the drawers all primed and ready for paint.

Here they are painted and ready for the antiquing step.

I took off the brass hardware and just washed
them in warm soapy water.

Here they are all cleaned up.

Here are some close up shots.

I thought the antiquing would show off the details of the chest.

Quite a bit of fancy details.

Fancy feet on the front.

More detail.

Another shot of the full piece.

I decided to put it upstairs in the kids bedroom.
Those are the kids piggy banks.

But there you have it, my new-old chest.

The Lord is my light and my salvation-
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life-
of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 27:1

Feel free to leave a comment. I love to read them. Thanks

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Green Tri-Table

I ran across this interesting table at a thrift store.
Of course, I bought it.
I had never seen anything like it.
It still had it's little brass feet.

Since the top was the only part that needed help
I left the bottom stained and just painted the top.

Please ignore the lovely cords.
And the slightly fuzzy picture.

I painted it a bright green.
Then went over it lightly with walnut stain.
Lastly I topped it with polyurethane.
 Pretend those cords aren't there again.

A little closer look.
Yummy dog treats available for sweet Molly.

If anyone knows anything about the style of this table
please let me know.

...perfect in beauty,
God shines forth.

Psalm 50:2

Tuesday, July 29, 2014


 Meet the latest additions to our animal family.
Lavern and Shirley.
I can't tell them apart so I just say
Hey Girls.

They are Himalayan rabbits.

They were given to us by a nice man 
at my daughters church.

The girls are about 1 year old.
They're pretty big.

We put the dogs up and let them out in our fenced in yard.
They had a good time running around and looking in the chicken run.

Just laying out with the other girls.
And a few roosters.
When it came time to put them back up that was a funny site.
How many people do you think it takes to catch a rabbit?
Well in our case, Six.
Four adults and two kids.

When we finally wore them down
they were put back in their house.
Which the nice man gave us as well.
They seem happy.

We put the house in an area where they could come and go from
their house as they pleased.
I added a ramp hoping they would learn to go up and down.

And being the beautiful and smart rabbits that they are,

 They began using it right away.
I showed them how to use it once.

As you can see
they like to go down

And come back up as they please.
Which was a relief to me.

During the day,
they'll dig a hole

and find some shade.
Happy rabbits!

 You know me and a paint brush,

I had to add some color.
I think they like it.

So that's the introduction of Lavern and Shirley.
Stay tuned for more adventures.

Let me experience Your faithful love in the morning,
for I trust in You.
Reveal to me the way I should go, 
because I long for You.

Psalm 143:8

Feel free to comment.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Re-doing a popcorn ceiling

We built our house over 30 yrs. ago on some adjoining land that my parents gave us.
We've made a lot of improvements over the years.
One thing we haven't done was the popcorn ceiling in the dining room.
Which was originally the living room.
We've scraped some of the other rooms and repainted the ceilings,
but in this room I wanted to do something a little different
that would not require scraping. What a mess it makes.
Isn't this attractive?

 Another great view.
Minus the light in the center that had already been removed.

A nice close up for you.
Lovely isn't it!

Here are the building materials.
Beadboard which I painted before hand.
Decorative lattice molding and layered on top of that more decorative molding.
And some edge molding to be used at the stairs.
Here it is in the process of changing.
Already looking better.

Here it is in the process of the nail holes being patched
and the trim being caulked.
It also had to have one more coat of paint.

That made 4 coats of paint on this ceiling.

But I think it was well worth it.
Here it is all finished.
Plus the addition of the new chandelier I bought.

I think it looks FANTASTIC!
Reminds me of an upscale farmhouse look.
And it only took 32 years.

I had some extra molding left over so I decided to
do something with it on the stair wall.
I spaced it the same distance as the wall studs.

Here's a close up of the molding.

I think it adds some interest to a plain wall.
Plus I used up the rest of my molding.

I know my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end He will stand
upon the earth.

Job 19:25

Friday, July 18, 2014

Little Tilly

It was a year ago today that my little Tilly died.
I thought I'd honor her memory with this post
and a few sweet pictures of her.

She was always such a queen.

Here she is at 8 weeks.
She was such a sweet little puppy.

She was always a trusted companion
and such a sweet, sweet dog.
She was a real beauty.
I still miss her so.
To read more about Tilly's life click here.

Rest in Peace my sweetie.

For God, who said,
"Let light shine out of darkness,"
made his light shine in our hearts...

2 Corinthians 4:6