Saturday, August 16, 2014

REFINISHING AN OLD CHEST


Usually I would show the before of a project
before I show the after, but this one turned out
so good I wanted it to be the first picture you saw.
This is a chest that a friend gave me that had been his mothers'.
Maybe 60-70 years old.

This is the before picture.
It had once been stained and his mother had
painted over that.
Being that it is so old I don't think it had been
primed before it was painted.

Here's more of a close up.
As you can see the paint was cracked and peeling.
But I saw potential.

After scrapping, sanding, more scrapping and more sanding
I was finally able to start priming.
For some reason I failed to get a picture of the piece before
I started the priming. Just let me say, it
was a lot of work.
But anyway, here are the drawers all primed and ready for paint.


Here they are painted and ready for the antiquing step.


I took off the brass hardware and just washed
them in warm soapy water.


Here they are all cleaned up.


Here are some close up shots.


I thought the antiquing would show off the details of the chest.


Quite a bit of fancy details.


Fancy feet on the front.


More detail.


Another shot of the full piece.


I decided to put it upstairs in the kids bedroom.
Those are the kids piggy banks.


But there you have it, my new-old chest.


The Lord is my light and my salvation-
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life-
of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 27:1

Feel free to leave a comment. I love to read them. Thanks

28 comments:

  1. Hello Lyn, You did a wonderful job on this! I love all the details, and now it has new life and might just be around another 60 or 70 years. I also think that the mirror that you set on it gives it even more charm. Nice addition to your home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely chest! What a lucky piece of furniture to let you get your hands on it. You do such nice work and what an imagaination - color is perfect.

    Karen Eanes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great chest and you made it look beautiful again! The hardware is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the style of this dresser. What gorgeous hardware!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! Thanks for sharing this at the Vintage Inspiration Party! I'll be featuring you at Knick of Time this week!
    Angie
    KnickofTime.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Just dropping by to tell you that I love your dresser makeover and I've picked it as one of my features this week on the Link It or Lump It Link party! Stop by and grab a brag button and link up again! - Melissa @ Silhouette School http://www.silhouetteschool.blogspot.com/2014/08/link-it-or-lump-it-link-party-52-plus.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty makeover!! Great job and thanks for sharing at Link It or Lump It this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous! You are one of the features at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/10/anything-blue-friday-week-72.html Hope to see you again at the little soiree. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a sucker for this color! What a beautiful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hardware is incredible and that color is irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lyn I'm featuring your gorgeous dresser at the DIY Sunday Showcase Party this weekend!
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous piece! What a great find and the color is just stunning! Thanks for sharing at Inspiration Friday! Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it what a fantastic piece you did a great job! Thank you for sharing at Share it One More Time

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so incredible! Loving it! Pinned and tweeted. Thanks for being a part of our party. I hope to see you tonight at 7. Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great makeover! I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing transformation! Love the antiquing and the color is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing at #OhMyHeartsieGirlsWW! Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, I just wanted to let you know I have chosen your beautiful transformation as a feature on our Wordless Wednesday link party, head over to my page and grab a feature button! Beautiful work, well done!! http://fromevijawithlove.com/home/wordless-wednesday-link-party-july/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you did an amazing job! Love the color, and the antiquing gives it nice dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice work. Thank you for sharing at Your Inspired Design Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful work! Thanks for linking up to Home Matters Party. #HomeMattersParty http://cu-rio.net/home-matters-linky-party-62/

    ReplyDelete
  21. This turned out great. However, would you explain the product and process that you used to do the antiquing? That is the most intriguing detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. When ever I'm antiquing with black I just use a gloss finish black paint. I think this was a premixed can of gloss black by Rustoleum. I lightly dry brush it on. If I get too much in one area I go over that area with a rag dipped in alcohol. Just gently rub over it. That will lightly remove the excess. If I take too much off I can then add some more black paint. The secret is a very light touch. Hope this helps

      Delete